DIY Muuto wall lamp

Via that nordic feeling - DIY Muuto wall lamp
I made a wall lamp out of a Muuto E27 lamp and an IKEA bracket.

In my old home I had the Hektar floor lamp from IKEA. It looked great with my old (and very big!) sofa. But it was too big next to my new sofa. So I went looking for something new.

I wanted a floor lamp for this corner, but I couldn’t find one I liked, except the AJ floor lamp designed by Arne Jacobsen and that one is not in the budget right now. Then I started to look for a wall lamp. Again the only one I could find was the AJ wall lamp – see a pattern here? So I decided to make my own.
Via that nordic feeling - DIY Muuto wall lamp
Via that nordic feeling - DIY Muuto wall lamp
It’s pretty easy. All you need is a drill. I bought the Muuto E27 in light grey, but they come in various colours, so use your favourite. You can even paint the bracket in a like colour to give it a more complete look or perhaps even in a complementary colour if you are going for a more radical look! I went for a nordic look and kept the raw wood.
Via that nordic feeling - DIY Muuto wall lamp
Works like a charm.

© thatnordicfeeling

follow thatnordicfeeling with bloglovin’ ♥

follow that nordic feeling with bloglovin' ♥ | like that nordic feeling on facebook

flattr this!

20 thoughts on “DIY Muuto wall lamp

1. Pia

I have the same idea on the drawing board with the exact same components – So great to see that it looks just as pretty as I imagine :-D

1. RikkeRikke Post author

Mon ikke du forstår dansk, nu svarer jeg i hvert fald lige sådan ;) Mange tak. Det fungerer fint, så hop du bare ud i det :)

2. Tarryn

Looks fantastic. I’d love to try it but how did you thread the cord through the small hole in the bracket?

3. Cora Dearing

Hey, i reeally love the look and would like to recreate it but I actually have almost the same question: how did you get that cord through the holes in the bracket? I know that the cord is as big as the holes but doesn’t it have the plug in on one side and the thing you attach to the light bulb on the other? I hope you get what i mean :) Love the post

1. RikkeRikke Post author

The lamp didn’t come with a plug on the cord. We attached that after pulling the cord through the holes.

If you have a lamp with a plug in – take it off and the reattach it after :)

4. Sarah

Hi Rikke, I really love this idea and I love your style! Can I ask some advice?

I would like to try hanging an E27 from my String shelf but I’m not sure if I will be able to thread the E27 plug and cable through the gaps in the ladder-like sides of my String pocket. What do you think?

Also, my partner says that he doesn’t like the light given off by a bare bulb, however I don’t think the E27 is as harsh as the average bare bulb. I think it would be a nice light to read or write by. Would you agree or disagree?

You’ve been a big inspiration to me while I’ve been decorating my flat (I’m melonseeds on IG) so thank you!

1. RikkeRikke Post author

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the kinds words – they are greatly appreciated.

If the plug is too big to go through the String, just remove the plug and reattach it after. That’s what I did when making this lamp.

As to the strength of the light, I would use this lamp for reading or blogging ;-). I am a great fan of decorating with light – meaning that I prefer many lamps in a room so that the lighting can be adjusted to the mood. Therefore I also appreciate lighting sources with different strength.

If the light is to much for you boyfriend I would suggest that you buy a dimmer. That way you can adjust the light to his preference and still keep the aesthetics and clean design of the E27.

Hope you can use this. Happy to help x

1. Sarah

Thanks Rikke

That’s a really helpful (and very prompt) response.

I think I’ll go for it and let you know how we get on ;) perhaps I’ll just turn it on for myself! Having a range of lights is great – Andrew has his eye on the Muuto Up lamp but I said he can buy that one!

Thanks for your help x

1. RikkeRikke Post author

You caught me at a lucky time, iPad in hand, doing blog work :)

And you are very welcome. I would love to know how it works out!

That sounds fair – a Muuto lamp for each of you. And a girl can never have too many pretty lamps (says the girl with a pricier lamp collection than shoe collection ;))

Good luck x

5. Sarah

Oh I’ve just properly read the comment above regarding taking off the plug and think this would answer my first question…oops! Although your expert opinion as to the aesthetics of the idea are still very welcome!

6. Sidsel

So cool and nice! I’ve just have one question regarding the light bulb… because i’ve already have this sort of light bulb in a other room, but it’s so shiny and very not cozy if you get what i’m hinting at… so do you have some kind of light -regulator or how many watts is the bulb? THX for a great and inspiring blog!

1. RikkeRikke Post author

I use the Muuto light bulb that comes with the lamp. I don’t find it too shiny :-) But try a dimmer, if it’s too shiny for you.

7. Pingback: Painting school at Royal Copenhagen | that nordic feeling