Lifestyle

Less is more

February 27, 2015
via that nordic feeling

via that nordic feeling

Yesterday was sunshine and spring feeling all the way through. Oh how I love days like these. The promise of warmer weather, longer days, more hours of daylight and soon also bulbs and green leaves. Spring is near (please!).

I’ve been home for two weeks now. Everyday life is catching up on me; going to work, doing chores, answering emails (sooo many emails), catching up with friends and family etc. I came home with so many thoughts and ideas and I think I will write some of them down here, to keep myself on point and not lose track of them in the midst of everything else.

via that nordic feeling

I want to simplify. Everything, really. Before I left for my ever so wonderful trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia (post and pics coming up!), I was running around like a mad person trying to keep up with everything. I was working all the time; nights, days, weekends – trying to keep up with a full-time job, a full-time blog and doing a bunch of freelance work on the side. Honestly it was getting to be a bit too much. And the holiday and break from everything underlined that for me. All work and no play is not good for you (or me!). I need to cut down and allow myself some time off.

I had forgotten how good it feels to read a book. Remember those square thingies we used to have before Netflix came along? I read a few while I was away and even bought a bunch of books in Singapore. I have been finding time to read since I came home and it is so nice to stop multitasking and focus on the simple joy of words on paper.

It’s one of the things that’s on my list this year. Remember this post, where I talked about greeting the new year? The book I fill out every year really helps to keep my focus on the things I want to work on.

The beginning of a new year always makes me want to clear my mind, my home and everything else in between. So I started with my wardrobe last week. Honestly I have more clothes than I need. So I took everything out and only put the things back, that I wear or realistically will wear. That left three huge bags of clothes on the floor. A good friend of mine have been collecting clothes from friends and family and dropping it off at an asylum center that houses Syrian refugees. People who has left everything they own behind fleeing from war. I can’t think of a better place to give my clothes to! So I called my friend, and he picked it up last Sunday.

Since then I’ve been going through all my cabinets and drawers. I have so much more stuff than I need. Seriously how many candle holders can one person own? So much of it has never been used, so it is time to let go. I have been running a big clearance sale on Instagram on a profile called @thatnordicfeeling_shop. So much has been sold already, but I am still going through my home, so more will be put up for sale in the coming weeks. Feel free to follow the profile if you want to see if there is anything for you (Danes only, sorry).

Ahhh, it feels good to let go. To simplify. You should try it! Happy almost weekend, guys! x

• Reply Henna February 27, 2015 at 08:58

Oh how lovely to see that someone else is going through this as well. In a year I have moved house twice, first from one country to another and then within the city and now as I try to find places for the stuff I unpack I see that some of it hasn’t been used in a year.

I also felt a huge amount of stress in October (yes it is possible for a mum who has left a day job to be at home and self-employed while settling in to a new country) and decided I wanted to start reading again. I devoured the book nearly at one sitting and then read two others within the week.

Good luck with de-cluttering, I’m doing the exact same thing!

Reply Rikke March 1, 2015 at 22:28

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone. It feel so good to let go. I went through all my thing almost two years ago when I moved in – that is the very best thing about moving, the chance to tidy up and throw away things that are not in use.
      I am glad to hear you find peace in books to. I have been during some reading this weekend and it feels great! I really want to make time for more of that in my life.
      Good luck with the unpacking and de-cluttering x

• Reply Helle Bach-Hansen February 28, 2015 at 13:11

Kæreste Rikke,

hvor er det fantastisk at læse at vi gennemgår præcis de samme tanker i denne tid. Jeg har længe gået med tanken om at det er ALT ALT for meget omkring mig. Ting (og penge) betyder bare overhovedet ingenting for mig, jeg trængte virkelig til at få ryddet de ting ud som bare fyldte og forstyrrede (for det er jo rent faktisk det TING gør ved én). Helt praktisk har jeg simpelthen ryddet ud i mit tøj, mit viktualierum, ja tænk hvad man kan samle når man har sådan et rum…. Nu er entre, bryggers og kontor ved at få den store simplicity tur og jeg elsker det. Jeg kan nærmest mærke hvordan jeg letter hver gang jeg smider ting ud der ikke betyder noget for mig… dejligt!!! Jeg håber jeg kan holde den gode tendens her i hele 2015 og kun bruge penge og tid på de ting og personer der virkelig gør mig glad helt ind i hjertet….. og du og din blog er heldigvis en af dem :-) Jeg har selv skrevet et blog indlæg om mine tanker og tager mig sammen til at poste det en af dagene :-)

Tak for DIG Rikke!! og skøn solskinsweekend.

Knus Helle

Reply Rikke March 1, 2015 at 22:31

Kæreste Helle,

SÅ dejligt at finde dig her i kommentarsporet <3 Og hvor skønt at høre, at vi er i gang med samme proces for tiden. Det tager tid og fokus at rydde ud, men nøj hvor er det skønt, når det er gjort. Det er også en dejlig følelse at sende ubrugte ting videre ud i verden til nye ejere, så det endelig kan komme til sin ret.
      Jeg var alt igennem, da jeg flyttede forrige sommer, men nu er det tid igen. Og du har helt ret – det letter i den grad at gøre sig fri for ting og sige farvel til det, der ikke længere tjener et formål.
      Så meget held og lykke med processen – vi må opmuntre hinanden til at fortsætte. Håber din weekend har været dejlig – det har min :-)
      Stort kram x

• Reply Hello Spring - that nordic feeling March 1, 2015 at 09:40

[…] I wrote in my last post I am doing a lot of thinking these days. In this brand new month of March I want to read more, […]

• Reply Balance + special treatment for sensitive skin - that nordic feeling March 2, 2015 at 08:51

[…] I got a few work projects done – not bad at all if you ask me. Like I wrote yesterday and on Friday, I am trying to find a better balance between work and […]

• Reply Postcard from Langkawi - that nordic feeling March 15, 2015 at 11:50

[…] These days I think a lot about how to find little moment of that feeling right here in everyday life – in the midst of deadlines, work, the blog, emails, social media, projects, chores etc. It’s all about finding balance, like I’ve talked about lately. […]

• Reply Mie April 5, 2015 at 18:02